Government Statistician Group (GSG) Induction course
- Open to
- New members of the Government Statistician Group (GSG)
- Training category
- Type of training
- Face to face, Online
- 2 days
- Analysis Function Capability Team
- Analysis Function Central Team
We are currently operating an interim solution for people who joined the GSG during 2020 until August 2022.
For people who are new to the GSG from September 2022, we will be in contact soon. Please note that this will be outside of the timescales mentioned on this page.
This course will introduce you to statistics and data science across government. It provides an opportunity for you to hear more about some of the great work that is going on in different government departments.
The course covers the following broad topic areas:
- the structure and independence of the UK Statistical System
- the Code of Practice for Statistics and the Strategy for UK Statistics
- the use of statistics and data science across government
- career management and development opportunities
The course is designed to give you the opportunity to meet other members of the statistics profession and learn about what they do. The course will enable you to develop a network of colleagues that will benefit you and your career.
There is no pre-course reading, but you should come prepared to discuss what you do in your job.
Who this course is for
This course is for:
- Fast Stream assistant statisticians
- statistical officers
- data scientists
- anyone else who has been recruited into the GSG
How to book
You should be automatically invited to attend this course in the first six months of starting your first post in the Government Statistician Group. If you have not been invited and think that you should have been, please contact Data.Science.Campus.Faculty@ons.gov.uk.
If you would like more information about this course, please email Data.Science.Campus.Faculty@ons.gov.uk.
Government Statistician Group (GSG) Foundation course