Specialist lead: strategic performance and outcome monitoring
The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) ensures that financial markets work well for individuals, businesses, and the economy as a whole. The FCA has core objectives to:
- protect consumers
- protect and enhance the market integrity of the UK financial system
- promote effective competition
Our role is critical in the current economic context.
We’re currently on an exciting journey as we work to bring about significant organisational, people, process, and technology transformation to become a more forward-thinking, proactive regulator. We will use data more effectively to ensure better regulatory decisions and build greater cohesion across our broad financial services remit.
The Strategy Department is responsible for:
- informing the FCA’s strategic thinking
- informing the FCA’s approach to corporate prioritisation
- providing oversight of how the FCA’s new three-year strategy is implemented — this includes monitoring and measuring progress against its strategic outcomes
We are looking for a candidate that is experienced in performance measurement to join the FCA’s Strategy Department and help build our strategic performance measurement function in the FCA.
In our 2021 to 2022 Business Plan, we committed to report publicly on our consistent topline outcomes and the metrics we will use to measure our progress over time. We have also committed to report against our strategic outcomes and metrics over a multi-year period.
This secondment role will:
- build, encourage and facilitate the effective measurement, monitoring and reporting of the FCA’s strategic commitments and outcomes
- provide meaningful reporting to our Executive Committee, the Board and externally of our organisational performance against our strategy
This reporting will enable senior stakeholders to make strategic and prioritisation decisions based on performance information.
The successful candidate will:
- develop and improve key outcome and performance metrics
- support and advise FCA colleagues on causal chains and logic models to enable setting outcomes and metrics
- effective reporting and communication of performance results to senior stakeholders to enable timely decision making
- work with colleagues across the organisation to ensure important data is collected effectively and efficiently
Role and about you
We would like to hear from candidates that have:
- knowledge of the major monitoring and evaluation methodologies — for examples, qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact
- knowledge of data collection and analysis methodologies, including statistical analysis
- experience in performance measurement — this includes indicator selection, direction and target setting, reporting, dataset management
- experience in developing monitoring and evaluation performance monitoring plans
- excellent stakeholder management and network building, with the ability to clearly and effectively explain complex concepts
- experience in placing performance measures into context, and the knowledge of what can and cannot be inferred from measures – it is desirable if the candidate can also make strategic recommendations based on performance reporting
- strength in producing outputs that are engaging, concise and well-reasoned, for audiences including our most senior internal and external stakeholders – this includes outputs like presentations and briefing papers
- the ability to combine technical proficiency with pragmatism and the need to adapt the way they work to changing needs
- experience and a good understanding of the power of performance measurement in guiding strategy execution, preferably for a public body
- practical understanding of the strengths and pitfalls of using Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to measure strategy performance
- practical understanding of the causal chain and logic model approach to evaluation
What you will get from this role
Your work in this role will be both varied and challenging. You will have a rare opportunity to understand and help shape the FCA’s strategic direction and help build our strategic performance measurement function within the FCA.
You and your outputs will have a high exposure across the FCA. You will work closely with a wide range of internal colleagues, including senior FCA decision makers, our Executive Directors, our CEO and the Board.
You will have excellent opportunities to develop your knowledge of the financial services market and gain exposure across all areas of the FCA given Strategy’s central role in the organisation.
You will have the opportunity to demonstrate that you can deliver high quality outcomes through others.
You will have the scope to influence how we report against our strategy internally and externally. You will have the opportunity to develop content for our most senior decision-makers to review and consider on a monthly and quarterly basis.
How to apply
You can apply for this role by sending your CV and a brief covering email by Tuesday 25 October 2022 to:
- Jaz Sansoye, acting Head of Strategy — Jaz.Sansoye@fca.org.uk
- Kirsteen Margetson, Manager, Strategic Reporting — Kirsteen.Margetson@fca.org.uk
- Claire Older, Technical Specialist, Strategic Reporting — Claire.Older@fca.org.uk
We will interview candidates during early November 2022. Please ensure you have discussed this opportunity with your line manager before applying