GSS dissemination champions
Web dissemination champions lead the development of statistics on all Government Statistical Service (GSS) web platforms with the aim of producing the best experience for our users. They meet to discuss all aspects of disseminating statistics online, including:
- all online platforms for disseminating official statistics publications – these are often on GOV.UK
- all interactive dissemination platforms for official statistics
- Connected Open Government Statistics
All web dissemination champions are members of the Web Dissemination Champion Network.
You can contact your organisation’s web dissemination champion if you have any frustrations disseminating statistics on GOV.UK or any other platform. If you don’t know who your champion is take a look at the ‘List of champions’. If you don’t think user needs are being catered for – let your champion know!
The main responsibilities for champions are to:
- attend quarterly Web Dissemination Champion Network meetings
In these meetings we share things going on across government related to the dissemination of statistics. All champions are welcome to share work that has been happening in their department.
- act as a point of contact within their departments
This means if anyone in their department has issues or queries related to the dissemination of statistics they can go to their champion. To do this effectively we ask champions to make themselves known across the department as the GSS Web Dissemination Champion.
Champions also get added to a mailing list. This mailing list is used to:
- ask for assistance in developing guidance or training
- share drafts of guidance to gather feedback
- promote guidance and training once it has been published.
Want to be a web dissemination champion?
Each GSS organisation is encouraged to nominate at least one web dissemination champion.
If you would like to be a web dissemination champion please email: John.Wilkins@dft.gov.uk.
Please read the privacy notice for champions before you sign up.
Web dissemination champions exist to ensure all GSS organisations are able to learn from each other to continually improve the way that government statistics are made available online. The need for organisations to do this is built into the Code of Practice for Statistics, most notably in the value pillar which sets expectations for accessibility, clarity and insight, and innovation and improvement. This ensures our statistics and data are useful, easy to access, remain relevant and support understanding of important issues.
Web dissemination champions:
- encourage and set GSS best practice in publishing and disseminating statistics
- continue to develop our services in line with user requirements
- encourage a more consistent user experience across GSS dissemination channels
- scan the horizon for new opportunities to innovate in online publishing, and promote these opportunities
- develop skills and maximise capability to produce good quality outputs that meet user needs
Web dissemination champions:
- ensure good practice in announcing statistics is maintained
- gather user feedback and comments to inform and support new projects
- share best practice and develop new initiatives in statistical publishing and web dissemination
- work with the Government Digital Service
- discuss and solve issues and problems as they arise
|Defra||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||Keating||Matt|
|Defra||Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs||Hand||Catherine|
|DESNZ||Department for Energy Security and Net Zero||Jackson||Thomas|
|DfE||Department for Education||Selby||Laura|
|DfE||Department for Education||Race||Cameron|
|DfT||Department for Transport||Kelly||Andy|
|DfT||Department for Transport||Dell||Mohan|
|DfT||Department for Transport||Bridonneau||Sophie|
|DHSC||Department of Health and Social Care||Hain||Doris|
|DIT||Department for International Trade||Bhimjiyani||Hiren|
|DIT||Department for International Trade||Athersych||Hugh|
|DWP||Department for Work and Pensions||McGargill||Lee|
|DWP||Department for Work and Pensions||Strano||Massimo|
|DWP||Department for Work and Pensions||Tzelepis||Georgios|
|HMRC||HM Revenue and Customs||Wong||Sarah|
|DLUHC||Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities||Clarke||Thomas|
|MHCLG||Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government||Marquesdos Santos||Miguel|
|MoD||Ministry of Defence||Names of MoD champions are available on request|
|MoJ||Ministry of Justice||Finn||Kevin|
|MoJ||Ministry of Justice||Roberts||Mark|
|MoJ||Ministry of Justice||Sanghvi||Sapna|
|NHS ISD||NHS Scotland||Davies||Richmond|
|Nisra||Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency||Kavanagh||Kathryn|
|Nisra||Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency||Brolly||Marie|
|Ofqual||Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual)||Rhead||Stephen|
|Ofsted||Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills (Ofsted)||Willis||Matthew|
|ONS||Office for National Statistics||Barnes||Darren|
|ONS||Office for National Statistics||Charnock||Zoë|
|ORR||Office for Rail and Road||Nair||Nisha|
|OSR||Office for Statistics Regulation||Lackie||Jennifer|
|SG||Scottish Government||Names of Scottish Government champions are available on request|
|UKHSA||UK Health Security Agency||Dray||Matt|
|VOA||Valuation Office Agency||McReady||Paul|
If you would like the email address for one of the champions, please email the secretariat: Mohan.Dell@dft.gov.uk.
We have a Basecamp project for all people in government interested in presentation and dissemination of statistics and analysis. This has a message board where you can post and answer questions. We encourage all dissemination champions to join this.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for an invite link to be sent.