Joining the Analysis Function
Careers in government analysis
Helping career progression is a fundamental part of what the Analysis Function (AF) can offer its community. We have created an Analysis Career Framework and pulled together some real-life career stories to help you find your route.
If you’re interested in joining the Analysis Function, you can look for opportunities on Civil Service Jobs. Alternatively, analytical fast stream or apprenticeship schemes might appeal to you.
The Government Analysis Career Framework
The Analysis Function Career Framework details the range of analytical careers available across government. It provides you with information about the skills and experiences needed for typical roles, and real-life inspirational career stories.
It can also support managers conducting career conversations with their teams as well as signposting additional learning solutions to support personal development.
Real-life career stories outline some of the routes you can take when working in government analysis. You can read career stories from analysts across government on our ‘Career stories’ webpage.
Routes into the Analysis Function
There are a range of ways the Analysis Function brings people into analytical roles across the Civil Service.
Many of the analytical professions run cross-government campaigns at various times of the year. Details of mainstream recruitment led by professions includes:
- Government Economic Service Assistant Economist
- Government Statistical Service – Statistical Officer, Higher Statistical Officer, Senior Statistical Officer opportunities
- Government Operational Research Service, most Operational Researchers join via mainstream recruitment at Executive Officer, Higher Executive Officer and Senior Executive Officer level. There are two main recruitment windows in February and September. Opportunities are advertised on the Civil Service Jobs website.
Many opportunities are available across the AF for summer and year-long sandwich placements including:
- Government Economic Service Sandwich placements
- Government Social Research Sandwich placements
- Government Statistical Service summer and sandwich placements (advertised annually)
- Government Operational Research Service summer and sandwich placements
- Government Actuary’s Department Student placement scheme (advertised on Civil Service Jobs when available)
- Digital Data and Technology profession Summer Diversity Internships
Civil Service Fast Stream analytical opportunities
The Fast Stream is the Civil Service’s award-winning graduate programme. Find out more about the different analytical streams:
- Government Statistical Service Fast Stream
- Government Economic Service Fast Stream
- Government Operational Research Fast Stream
- Government Social Research Fast Stream
- Digital Data and Technology Fast Stream
The apprenticeships available in the analytical government professions: