Government Statistical Service (GSS) Summer Student Placements 2023
- Reference number
- Administrative Officer Summer Placement
- Role type
- Fixed term, Summer placement, Temporary
- Closing date
- 10 Jan 2023
- £21,204 to £23,460 depending on location
- Birmingham, Bristol, Darlington, Fareham, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Manchester, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Newport (Gwent), Pontypridd, Salford, Sheffield, Wolverhampton, York
- Open to
- Students studying for a highly numerate degree and expecting to achieve a 2:2 or above
- Government Statistical Service
- studying a numerate degree and seeking a summer placement?
- interested in pursuing a career in statistics?
- excited by challenge that will put your statistical skills to the test?
If the answer is “yes”, we have an exciting opportunity for you in the Government Statistical Service.
You could be spending your university summer placement in one of our departments across the UK, working at the centre of government, in roles that really make a difference, including:
- supporting the transport network and infrastructure to keep the UK on the move
- safeguarding our natural environment to sustain a thriving rural economy
- supporting immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime, fire, counter-terrorism and police
There may be opportunities in the following departments:
- Cabinet Office (CO)
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
- Department for Transport (DfT)
- Department for International Trade (DIT)
- Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC)
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
- His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services (HMICFRS)
- Ministry of Defence (MOD)
- Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted)
- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
The work is high profile and you might find yourself working with requests from Ministers and other senior officials. You will work with existing team members concentrating on research work which will form part of larger projects. This role may also include:
- being exposed to multiple arms of government such as central policy, frontline services, finance and long term strategy
- working with a variety of professions including analysts, policy, delivery and IT specialists
- working in a government environment which promotes a healthy work-life balance and encourages learning and development
- joining a community of placement students and network across the GSS
The summer placement will run for a continuous period of up to 3 months, between June and August 2023.
How to apply
Read the full advert and apply for a summer placement on the Civil Service Jobs website.